Sunday, September 23, 2018

Friday 21st September
Intended early start is delayed as we have Purple Crowned Lorikeets feeding in trees outside the room. They are not rare but usually seen flying very fast calling as they go so it is nice to see them close up, albeit partially hidden by the flowers they are feeding on. It is warm when I set off to head 69km south east down highway 40. It is quite a well worn and smooth surface and the undulations are less pronounced than yesterday. I get to the junction with the South Coast Highway (Highway 1) at a fast (for me!) average of 20 mph (32 kph). Here we stop at the library where we’ve heard there is internet access. They’re right so we can publish the first few days of the blog but fear everyone will have lost interest and forgotten about it. We go to the Palace Hotel which reviews suggest serve huge meals. They must have changed chefs as the fish and chips we have is rather a small portion. After ordering it we realise there is a chance of a bird we have missed before south of here down on the coast at Hopetoun. I therefore plan to do just another 50 km east before Mandy picks me up and we return to Ravensthorpe after a diversion to the seaside town. As I leave town I’m mobbed by another Butcherbird and this time it actually hits my cycling helmet but luckily it’s glancing blow. They are very persistent but I eventually get away. The undulations are larger again and there is a strong headwind making headway very tiring. After I get picked up and head back the hills I’ve climbed look even worse than they felt for me. I forget to turn my Strava off so the car journey is recorded too!
The trip down to Hopetown is as pleasant as the rather theatrical motel proprietor told us and we see Emu and Kangaroo along the way. Alas we don’t see the Hooded Plover we are after though we do see signs about them on the beach. We find a range vehicle and ask the range about them. She says she thinks they nest on the airfield where she also works. Luckily before we head off there we see a picture on her phone – but it is a different bird that is there.
Back to the motel to eat pizza, turning down the suggestion of an Indian meal at the restaurant across the road. It does not seem sensible to risk tummy trouble with some long rides in the next few days.
It was only about 20 degrees C today but all my clothes are salt encrusted.
120.5 km today with 4hours and 10 minutes in the saddle at an average of 28.9 kph. 601.0 km so far.

Purple Crowned Lorikeet that delayed departure
 Leaving Lake King Tavern after the birds had flown.

 Farm Gate "Art" is a bit of a thing around here!
 The Palace Hotel in Ravensthorpe, gets even worse reviews than where we are staying
 Our motel room
In the late afternoon we went another 50km to the seaside.
It was cold and we did not see the bird we were after.

No comments:

Post a Comment