Thursday, October 4, 2018

Thursday 27th September Madura to Mundrabilla


Thursday 27th September
Early walk to see the view down from Madura "Pass"

The man who is walking Perth to Sydney - respect!

Emu with his stripy chicks. It is the male that does the childcare in Emus.

Chris birdwatching near sunset

Sunset near Mundrabilla

Desperate attempts to soften the blow of harsh road surfaces on my sore backside. Not sure it works on the backside but it helps to think I've tried.

Padding on the handlebars helps protect the wrists. I hope.

Just a short ride today and to be honest I cannot remember why I did not combine today and tomorrow into a long but manageable ride. As I’m getting increasingly saddle sore I’m glad I didn’t go for the long day!
As we have a short day we go up to the top of the pass to enjoy the view before I ride. It is like looking down onto the Serengeti. Without the animals and without many birds either.
I start at 9am leaving Mandy to check out. When she comes to catch up with me she meets the young man we’d heard about at Salmon Gums, who is walking from Pert to Sydney for a mental health charity. Mandy chats for a while and gives him a cold coke which he leaves to get warm for later! Eventually she catches me at half way. Throughout the ride the escarpment is on my left at varying distances and the vegetation varies in height with rainfall of the particular area. We do see Wedge Tailed Eagle again but mostly it is just Ravens and Yellow Throated Miners. Although I set a leisurely pace we arrive at Mundarabilla roadhouse before 2.30 pm.
After a shower and a snooze we go out birdwatching but still not a lot showing apart from very good views of a Male Emu walking with his brood of still stripy chicks. See pair of dark Crested Pigeons. In looking for it see Singing Honeyeater and Redthroat well.
A late search into darkness fails to locate Inland Dotterel so back for Spaghetti Bolognese at the roadhouse. 
116.65 km today in 4 hours 22 minutes – an average of 26.6 kph. Total so far 1567.05 km

No comments:

Post a Comment