Thursday, October 4, 2018

Saturday 29th September -150 kilometers of cold, hard headwind across the Nullabor Plain


Trucks awaiting inspection for fruit fly at the border

Sign at the start of the Nullabor Plain

Book says it is pan flat. The reality is different as this picture shows.

The Bunda Cliffs and Southern Ocean

Bright blue Southern Ocean

Chris trying to help a Bob Tailed Lizard across the road.

The Bob Tailed Lizard is not grateful or impressed!

Talking shelter as a truck kicks up the gravel shoulder.

Trucks carrying oversized loads are common.

Small cyclist crossing the large open Nullabor Plain

Another day on the narrower but generally smoother (and paler) SA road. When there is a truck coming the other way I look behind me and if there is a potential clash I stop to allow the trucks to pass. Otherwise trucks coming my way pull over to pass on the other side which is safer for me. I rather like the trucks coming bay as they push my 5kph faster for a while. The opposite is true for the oncoming trucks which have a bow wave that practically sops me in my tracks even though I crouch down in readiness. Wow that was a strong headwind today. Until 3 pm it was 20mph plus straight in the face and cold at under 16 C max. I had a base layer, my bright jersey and heavy arm warmers and full gloves and was cold pretty much all the time. After 3pm the wind veered to the right a bit but got stronger so I still struggled to hold 20 kph.
It was sunny most of the way and we stopped off at a couple of lookouts which showed the most colourful sea I’ve seen. Almost looked fake. Views were restricted as the Bunda cliffs are crumbling and won’t let people too close. No whales today.
Most of the day is riding across the Nullabor Plain which means treeless plain. It is just low heat type saltbush vegetation. This is the iconic part of the ride across Australia.
Come across a wrecked caravan which was off the road down an embankment. What a mess. Find a like Bob Tailed Lizard crossing the road. Try to help it across but it displays at us and in the end get a bowl and plate to scoop It up and carry it across. It does not look happy the ungrateful so and so!
I was making so little headway that I was almost at the point of giving up and doing a bit tomorrow but in the end I got the full 150 km done and arrived at the famous Nullabor Roadhouse in time for a late afternoon/early evening drive to look or night life. Had good views of a couple of separate Dingos which is a first for us driving south on the fence road leading from a point 1.2 km east of the roadhouse. The fence was hundreds of km long put in to keep Dingos out of Queensland but they were both sides tonight and tomorrow we can see it is broken down in many places.
151.35 km today in 7 hours 22 minutes – an average of 20.5 kph. Total so far 1832.98 km

No comments:

Post a Comment