Thursday, October 4, 2018

Monday 1st October - Nullabor to Nundaroo roadhouses


Monday 1st October
A Dingo seeing us away from the Nullabor Roadhouse

Getting ready for wet weather that happily did not affect us.

The last banana in the box. A bit far gone, even by my standards.

Some big climbs today. That is me by the arrow.

All day we followed the rain falling from a front.

The sun came out for a late visit to the seaside at Fowler's Bay

The next bit of bad weather reflected in a salt lake.

Well today turned out much better than expected! Woken in the early hours by torrential rain on the tin roof. Lie awake trying to work out what to do if it is too wet to be safe with passing road trains. By daylight it is showers so some hope. Also, it is not windy at all though it is cool. Get ready slowly and get my, light, computer and temporary padding on the saddle covered with a plastic bag. By the time we are ready to go it is dry and the front that caused the rain is a little way east of us. Drove the bike out to yesterday’s start finish point seeing a couple of Dingos beside the road and luckily we don’t catch up the rain though the road is wet with my favourite smooth bit of the road holding a puddle.
Set off enjoying speeds unheard of for several days yet with less effort than I was putting in against the wind. Right at the beginning I am running along with a Whiskered Tern following the road and keeping pace with me. The bike seemed to have odd noises until I realised it was just that I could hear the noises instead of just the wind in my ears! Passing trucks don’t buffet me in the still air. Great.
We are now out of the treeless area and there are birds around that I can hear! See 4 Major Mitchells Cockatoos including one showing its colourful crest temporarily and later I have one land close at eye level and raise the crest. Also see a couple of Scared Kingfishers, Wedgetailed Eagle.
It warms up slowly so I strip off layers after noon. Stop at aboriginal community to hopefully have lunch but it is closed and boarded up. Get to the Nundroo roadhouse early afternoon and Mandy checks in whilst I carry on along tomorrow’s route, enthused by a temporary tailwind which gave stretches of 40kph coasting. Soon though it is a strong sidewind and then Mandy picks me up with an extra 20 kilometers covered that I don’t have to do tomorrow. Today the cycling was fun again, something it hasn’t been for some days.
It is now warm and sunny so we drive out to the tiny seaside settlement of Fowlers Bay.  We see what we think is a new bird for us – Black Eared Cuckoo soon after starting down the 26 km dirt road. See several salt flats with possibly pratincoles sitting in distance. There are large sand dunes next to the settlement. Several Whiskered Terns, Caspian Terns and Ruff on the sea weed covered beaches. Have pie and chips in the warm sun on the prom. Well we eat the bits the flies don’t get! Don’t be fooled – fliers ARE a problem in Australia!
Back towards the roadhouse we see a huge dark cloud looming with lightning showing strongly. See some dead Wombats but no live ones even when we look out with spotlight on the tracks behind the roadhouse, which we are assured is a hot bed for them. It is raining on and off but who knows what will happen tomorrow.
After drinking some of the water from the tap, we read the water is not fit for drinking her for the first time. We also find a large spider of unknown risk on the bedroom floor, so I do as any real man would do. I get Mandy to catch it in a glass and put it outside!
134.45 km today in 4 hours 53 minutes – an average of 27.4 kph. Total so far 1998.11 km

No comments:

Post a Comment